The Lincoln Plawg - the blog with footnotes

Politics and law from a British perspective (hence Politics LAW BloG): ''People who like this sort of thing...'' as the Great Man said

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, May 02, 2005
 

LG has a tongue in her head, apparently


If the basic story wasn't so dismal, this element would be classic feelgood filler: the 13 year old pregnant girl being held hostage by the Jeb Bush pander machine is no helpless Pearl White-style rescue-object - or so it appears.

A sample:
"Why can't I make my own decision?"...

"I don't know," Circuit Judge Ronald Alvarez replied, according to a recording of the closed hearing obtained Friday.

"You don't know?" replied the girl, who is a ward of the state. "Aren't you the judge?"


LG has the ACLU batting for her in her appeal before the Florida 4th District Court [1], no doubt on fancy-shmancy constitutional grounds; her own grounds for being allowed to have the abortion she wants are rather more practical:
I don't think I should have the baby because I'm 13, I'm in a shelter and I can't get a job.

Not that such common sense will have anything to do with the way the case will be decided...

(The story via Bitch PhD. No kidding.)

  1. Florida's court names for the first two tiers are the reverse of the Federal: trial court is Circuit Court, appeals court is District Court. Just as, topsy-turvily, in New York, the trial court is the Supreme Court, with the top court being the Court of Appeals.


|
free website counter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com