The Lincoln Plawg - the blog with footnotes

Politics and law from a British perspective (hence Politics LAW BloG): ''People who like this sort of thing...'' as the Great Man said

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, March 06, 2005
 

More Dem triangulation


Following up yesterday's piece, I find the Times' piece today under hed Black Churches Struggle Over Their Role in Politics is not without relevance.

On the other hand, for those contemplating the droitisation of the Democratic Party, the Nation has a piece Going Nowhere: The DLC Sputters to a Halt.

The lede is a story from 2003 about the DLC's issuing
its yearly list of "100 New Democrats to Watch."

Apparently, the name of Barack Obama was included. With heavy irony, it says that
The puzzling addition caused The Black Commentator magazine to wonder, a month after the DLC list came out, whether Obama had been "corrupted" by the centrist group.

Laugh? I nearly started.

Obama has a hissy fit when he finds out:
Neither my staff nor I have had any direct contact with anybody at the DLC since I began this campaign a year ago. I don't know who nominated me for the DLC list of 100 rising stars, nor did I expend any effort to be included on the list.... I certainly did not view such inclusion as an endorsement on my part of the DLC platform.

And his name is removed.

Fast forward to 2005: already here, with no attempt to dog the guy, we've had Obama promising a carload of pork (January 5), voting for Condi Rice's confirmation (January 27) and voting for the Republican tort reform bill (February 11).

With that record, I think he'd fit right in at the DLC. Might even be a tad too conservative for them...

Oh, and the Times has something on Hillary Clinton's personal droitisation and its positive effects in her (adopted) home state. She can save her energies for 2008, it seems.


|
free website counter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com