The Lincoln Plawg - the blog with footnotes

Politics and law from a British perspective (hence Politics LAW BloG): ''People who like this sort of thing...'' as the Great Man said

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, January 26, 2004
 

The RSS is fried - again (a moral here...)


Just recently, RSS for this blog has been appearing nice as pie, whenever I've checked.

Now, I happen upon the fact that the good people - check, people - at Blogger have brought out their own RSS - Atom - with (need one ask) oodles of development possibilities. It's there, it's free, and I was tempted.

As a result - I know not how - I can get neither the old RSS nor Atom to work. It seems that, in activating Atom, the Blogger people arranged so that UTF-8 characters are the only ones that can be read; and - the killer - that the feed grinds to halt at the first non-UTF-8 character it comes across (rather than merely reproducing it as garbage).

Unfortunately, my stuff is jam-packed with such characters - which the nice Mr Gates' Windows 1252 is happy to accommodate. And, of course, any blogger who has the temerity to blog in any language other than English needs those extra characters. (It's the Randy Newman foreign policy in digital form: Perle must be pleased.)

Until I can find out what the fuck is going on, RSS is off the menu, I'm afraid.

That, I think, is what they call progress.


MORE

Just for the sheer fun of it, I went over to BlogStreet to see if it could produce one of its DIY RSS feeds for the Plawg. Two shakes of a lamb's tale, and there it was! No error message: just the blog contents. (I have no idea whether the link will work in your newsreader - no harm in trying, though).

I am well beyond my (highly limited) technical competence here: here be more hippogriffs than you can shake a stick at. Regrouping necessary...


|
free website counter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com